This guide covers a server installation, where the SQL Server and SNData folder are stored, but SigmaNEST itself is not installed.
What is a SigmaNEST Server?
A SigmaNEST Server is a collection of external assets (SQL Server and files) that are not required to be on the same machine as the SigmaNEST program. If you have multiple users who will be sharing data, we recommend setting up a SigmaNEST Server.
Note: A workstation installation requires a SigmaNEST Server, but any installation of SigmaNEST can connect to the server.
Download and open the installer
- Visit the SigmaTEK Connect site to download the most recent version of SigmaNEST.
Click the download link for the most recent Complete Image. Beginning with SigmaNEST X1.6, the complete image is labeled All Products.
Note: The complete image, while large, contains additional assets that SigmaNEST may require during installation
- After the download has finished, double-click SNStartUp.exe.
Click SigmaNEST > SigmaNEST.
Tip: For other installation types, hover over the specific product then select an installation type.
Install the SigmaNEST server
- Select your Language.
- Read the terms of the License Agreement, then accept it and click Next.
Select the Start Menu Group name for your install. Then click Next.
Tip: This name also determines which folder the SigmaNEST files will be installed in.
- Clear the Install SigmaNEST program files check box, then click Next.
Select the Install SQL Server and Create Database check boxes, then click Next. Later in the installation, you will be prompted to create or upgrade a database.
- If you already have Microsoft SQL Server, the installer will create a new instance called SIGMANEST on it.
- If you don't have Microsoft SQL Server, the installer will install it, then create a new instance called SIGMANEST.
- If you plan to manually add the SigmaNEST database to your own instance later, don't select either of the check boxes.
- Select the SNData Folder check box, then choose where you want the SNData folder to be located. Make sure it's in a location that is accessible to all workstations, and remember the path for later (you'll enter it during the workstation installation). Click Next.
- Click Next to begin the installation.
- When the database installer opens, use the instructions below to create or upgrade a database.
- Click Finish to close the installer.
Create or upgrade a database
- During installation, the database installer will open. When it does, review the information provided, then click Next.
Select your SQL Server and enter your login credentials.
Note: If no SQL servers appear, you may need to enter your security information first. If you are logged into the same Windows account (and computer) that originally created the SQL Server, you can Use Windows Security instead of entering a login and password.
- (Existing database only) After you connect to the server, any existing SigmaNEST databases will populate the grid below. Select one (or more) databases to upgrade.
(New database only) Select the units you are planning to use, then click New Database. Enter a unique name and click OK. The database is added to the grid.
- Click Create/Upgrade Selected DBs.
- When the utility is finished, click Close. Then click Finish to exit the installer.