In SigmaNEST X1.4 and up, ribbon toolbar groups are fully unlocked and customizable. You can create and name your own groups of commands, rearrange commands within groups, and even delete the pre-set groups that are installed with SigmaNEST.
What is a toolbar group?
The ribbon toolbar has a very basic hierarchy: Tab > Group > Command.
So for example, the CAD tab contains several different groups by default (Geometry, Edit, Detail, and so on). Then, each of those groups contains multiple commands, such as Point, Trim/Extend, Note, etc.
To get started, right-click on any tab or button on the toolbar. Then select More Commands... in the menu that appears. You'll see a window like this:
Add, remove, rename, or reorder groups.
At the top of the customize dialog, choose the Ribbon Tab you want to work with. A list of Tab Groups is populated below.
- To create a new group, add commands to one of the generic groups (such as Toolbar - CAD - 1). When you add commands, the group will appear on the toolbar.
- To delete the selected group, remove all commands from it. Once all commands are removed, the group will disappear from the toolbar.
- To rename a custom group, right-click the group and click Rename Custom Group.
- To reorder groups on the toolbar, use the up and down arrows to the right of the Tab Groups list.
Add, remove, or reorder commands
At the top of the customize dialog, choose the Ribbon Tab you want to work with, then select a Tab Group to edit.
- To add a command to the group, select a command from the Command List and click Add.
- To remove a command from the group choose a command from the Toolbar Buttons list and click Remove.
- To reorder commands in the group, use the up and down arrows to the right of the Toolbar Buttons list.
Notes on limitations
There are only two limitations to customizing the toolbar, but they are in place for good reasons.
The first limitation prevents you from modifying the Plugins toolbar group. This was necessary because this group is automatically populated by the Plugin Manager, and we didn't want to allow conflicts between selections.
So, if you want to edit the Plugins toolbar group, just open up the Plugin Manager (it's in the Tools Help tab, under Configuration) and choose which plugins you want to appear.
The second limitation is that you can only add functions to their relevant tabs. For example, you can't add Auto NC to the CAD tab.
This limitation is based on the existing behavior of the Intelli-search feature, which only displays functions you can access from the selected tab. This also simplifies things in cases where a feature is available on multiple tabs.
For example, if you were on the CAD tab and you want to add Single Punch, SigmaNEST would have to guess whether you meant the Single Punch command on the Parts tab, or the Single Punch command on the Nesting NC tab. The code behind each command is slightly different, so we would have to give you both options.
So, to make the process as easy and painless as possible, we presorted the commands by tab. And that's why this limitation exists.
But aside from those two nuances, the sky's the limit on what you can do with your toolbar. So, happy customizing!